Friday, May 11, 2007

a nice day...




peek-a-boo with daddy



Welcome to Friday! We have had a good day so far. We woke up a little early (Shona around 6am – Darren earlier) but other than that the day started off well. The sky was a little less gloomy, the train was pretty much on time leaving and there was a significant amount of space on the train today (Darren and I shared a 3 person seat!). Our time with Ivanna was great – and we actually got to spend a long chunk of time with her. We weren’t allowed outside but had the playroom to ourselves. Not that we spent a lot of time in it – Ivanna was very interested in going for walks (repeatedly) down the hallway. Each time we tried to interest her in something else, she would grab one of our fingers and pull until we went with her or she would eventually let go to explore on her own (all the while looking back as if to say ‘aren’t you coming?’. She is definitely becoming more comfortable with us and is showing more of her will (which apparently is stronger than previously thought). We are figuring out that we are going to have to start actual disciplining/consequences and quit laughing when she throws a little temper tantrum. Today she was such a busy girl and just didn’t want to sit still. When we gave her a little snack, she really didn’t want to sit and eat. After eating ½ a banana mostly sitting, we eventually just let her wander with her cookie (which definitely goes against my personal beliefs kids should sit while they eat – choking paranoia – it’s amazing how easy it is to fold to what the kid wants!). She promptly tried to just eat the chocolate chunks out of the cookie (a girl after my own heart!). Then, while wandering down the hall with her daddy and cookie, Darren said he go some funny looks – whether it was because she was walking and eating, eating a cookie or just because she was wandering down the hall for the 20th time – who knows. We decided we should maybe be a little firmer and make her sit while she ate. Oh – so – hard to go back after being indulgent!!!! Anyway, suffice it to say, she was NOT happy. She sat for about 3 seconds on my lap then wiggled her way off at which point I said she could go but I would have to take her cookie (which I did – way to be firm Sho). The look she gave me was hilarious – like I had seriously wounded her! Her bottom lip stuck out farther than I thought possible, she took a couple of steps away and flopped on the ground looking VERY sad. :( (Meanwhile her parents were laughing heartily – way to reinforce negative behaviour!!!) A few seconds later she must have forgotten what she was upset about – or realized it wasn’t the end of the world as she thought – and jumped up and was off and moving again. She is definitely testing us (for which we are grateful – it must mean she trusts us/is attached enough to want to test limits)! We are delighted to see her little personality showing through more and more with us (even if it is evident that she won’t just follow along and do everything we tell her to). Along with the pouty lips, we also both got dazzled with genuine and big smiles from her today. She also played a little peek-a-boo with us in the hall, and really seemed to enjoy playing with us. We are quite filled with love and joy. She has us thoroughly enchanted with her (and perhaps just a little wrapped around her finger)! It is hard not to be thoroughly spoiling her when she is with us so briefly. We want her to LIKE us after all! Somehow it feels like it will be easier to establish rules and consequences when she’s ours full time, but know that we must start with baby steps now (even if it doesn’t feel much like fun – discipline never really is, is it?). (D: actually, I am pretty sure it will be harder if we are big softies all the time now)
Our shawarma guy was closed today - :( very sad. We came home to have a snack instead and since the sun is shining intermittently and it actually feels a little warm outside – we are going to ‘carpe diem’ and explore a little more (yes, Jonathan, we are going to quit hermitting for the day!)

D: We just got home after touring the museum of the Great Patriotic War. We took the metro to Dnipro station and then kind of followed my nose (S – it always knows) toward where I thought the museum was (oddly enough, we could not see Rodina Mat until we were quite close). We ended up walking past the Caves Monastery and up many steps (S – about 200) along one wall into a park. From there, it was pretty easy to see the big metal lady. (S -After another 200 or so steps we got to…) The museum itself was very similar to the war museum in Ottawa, with a bit darker feel. I suppose that makes sense given that the war actually happened here. Although we could not read the signs, the exhibits were very powerful. One of the final rooms had thousands of pictures along one wall and a big table set up on top of shell casings. On it were many canteen and mess kits. It was very sobering to think of all those lives lost – wasted. On the top floor is a big airy room with names of lives lost on the supporting columns. It was pretty windy outside, and with the metal lady on top of us, we could here the creaking. Afterwards, we went outside and took some pictures, then walked over to a couple of outdoor exhibits containing airplanes, tanks, armoured vehicles, a sub, helicopter, missile, and mobile missile launcher. Shona was patient while I walked around. I took several pictures, thinking that Dale would really enjoy looking at this stuff. I find tanks, planes, and helicopters interesting, but always walk away wondering what the world would be like if we didn’t spend so much energy and creativity on making destructive things.
It was nice to get out and explore a bit more, but we are both a bit tired now (400+ steps up and down & about 6km more walking than normal!). We’ll head to Mario’s for supper – it’s been a few days since we shared a pizza!
Paka!

7 comments:

Ivanna's uncle said...

I was wondering when you'd get to the museum you promised me you'd go see. Sounds very cool. I am going through WWII with my Hist20 class right now and would love to be able to take them to something like that just to make it all seem a bit more...real. Did you know that some fields in Ukraine are still pushing up skulls, just like the area around here pushes up rocks. Wow, I can't imagine having to go through something like that. Brutal.
I appreciated the pics too. Rodina Mat is hot (I see how she got her nickname).

On a different note, yeah discipline is not the best part of parenting. On rough days, sometimes 2hrs is all we want of our own kids. Especially after a day of enforcement at school. Good on ya for taking the little steps.
gotta get to my next class.
jonathan
BTW: Your yard is looking great: the tress have blossoms and the grass is greening. nice.
oh yeah, and I didn't get the job.

Melissa said...

Great pics! It's so wonderful to see and hear how Ivanna is responding to you and knows that you love her. I hope things go well with the courts and all that goes along with that. Have a great weekend!

Tanis said...

Hi there you two. When I started reading your blog there were no comments yet. I thought I might actually be the first to write. Nope.

Last night Jonathan and I read chapter 11 of Prince Caspian. What chapter are you on now? I like the image of Lucy following whether anyone else does or not.

As Jonathan said, he didn't get the job. So we celebrated, with my parents, that we will, in fact, be off for a year starting Sept 2008. Crazy. Time to start dreaming.

I must admit I laughed as I read about deciding to put some limits on Ivanna. I find myself laughing when I'm trying to enforce with Sam because he is such a tease. I know he understands perfectly because he gets a glint in his eye and then either starts doing exactly what I've told him not to or starts running away (with the cookie)while laughin maniacally. This is all the while looking back daring me to enforce. He's a bit of a different duck than Misha was. Sam can sure scream when the source of all enjoyment (namely food) is removed. Boy can he sit down fast if he knows it will be returned for consumption. Yup, fun times.

Well, I just finished meeting with your mom (Sho), Val, Lecia about the other shower. Nice to sit and talk about you three.

I'm gonna go get Misha for swimming. Thanks for all the pictures and life details. Love you.

Tanis

Val said...

Every little girl needs a good pout and a charming smile in her repertoire. Sounds like Ivanna is very well equipped. It is SO wonderful to read about her showing typical 21 month old behaviour. These little struggles you're having (not to mention the play and smiles and desire to have you follow her around) are such positive signs of a healthy child. I'm glad you can enjoy them and that you celebrate her sense of self and will.

She is clearly becoming quite attached to her Mom and Dad. I'm very glad to hear that she's doing a wonderful job of wrapping the two of you firmly around her little fingers, too. There really are no words adequate enough to express how awesome this bonding between the three of you is.

I laughed when I read Tanis's post. It seems that Will and Sam are on the same track. Will gets that same glint in his eye and seems to be enjoying being defiant more and more these days. Even if I manage to keep a straight face, it doesn't help that Eilidh laughs at his antics and then they feed off each other and the gong show escalates. It's going to be great fun to get all of these little people together in the summer when the two of you and Ivanna are ready for it.

Anyway, I must get back to work for the time being. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, your feelings, and your moments with Ivanna.

Love you tons! Great big hugs to you and Ivanna.

Neil and Lib said...

Love the pictures as always. Ivanna is showing more and more signs of who she is, and that's delightful. It is great to hear that she's asserting her will - we wouldn't want you to miss the experience of clashing wills along with the challenge of determining when to be firm and when to give in. This afternoon Tanis and I spent a couple of hours in your back yard raking up the dead stuff and digging out some of that invasive weed. So - how did it get such a root system going and - why is it that we have to coax the good stuff to grow and yet the bad stuff just seems to take over unless we're constantly vigilant? Gardening is so much like living. We love you and are so happy to hear some of your 'touristy' adventures. Seems smart to see the city and learn some history while you have this opportunity. Love you loads.

Alan, Michelle and Cole said...

Oh it's so nice to hear that she is a typical little girl. Every little one must go from charming to challenging in a flash. Some things never change. Discipline is one of those things you never get used to but I've learned that it's part of loving Cole and when I think of it that way it's much easier.

Ivanna is clearly becoming very comfortable and attached to yu both. You both look like you are completely doing the same with her. What a gift you are to each other and to all of us back here at home. You continue to bless us with your openness. Cole found me crying as I was looking at your pictures again. I had to explain, that these are the tears of absolute joy. I can hardly wait to have you guys home and celebrate with you.

We are taking a bit of a trip. We are going to Edmonton for the weekend to celebrate Al being done busy season and me being finished school. We will be doing the West Edmonton Mall-the boys don't think we'll be doing any shopping but I have news for them :)
We love you. I'll talk to you when I get home. (It seriously will be extremely hard to be away from the blog for a few days).

Luv Ya, and WE ARE PRAYING!!!

Gail said...

Since my today has already turned into your tomorrow and I'll be out all day Saturday, Happy Mother's Day on Sunday, Shona. I laughed when I read about your discipline dilemma - it's only just begun! I see Austin at 7 months asserting himself and can only imagine (because my recollection is rather vague) how entrenched he will be by the time he's Ivanna's age. My laughter just bubbles up and destroys any hope of serious rule-setting at the moment. As you can see, I wouldn't be much help to you - but I think my "Grandma" title cuts me a little slack,for now.

Your pictures and your diary of experiences are incredibly detailed and so intriguing. Tannis gloated today because she caught up with you before I did. You have captivated all of us. You may have to carry on with your blog once you're home again or we, your faithful audience, will slip into withdrawal. Have a good weekend and we will trust that your judge will return to her office early in the week. We love you lots and think of you all the time. Take care, you three. Always Gail & Co.