Wednesday, May 9, 2007

happy anniversary to us...


the beginning of the parade

we liked seeing the kids.

good to be OUTSIDE today, although Ivanna likes the camera as much as Shona.



Well, after supper last night, Darren and I went to the store to find some dessert (we managed to find a very yummy Napoleon Tort) and went home. We sat, ate dessert and watched Mike Myers - “The Spy Who Shagged Me”. Not normally my kind of movie but I will admit it did make me laugh a bit and certainly got our minds off the day. This morning I was awake at 5 am for some crazy reason (and so Darren was mostly awake then too – I’m not exactly calm and peaceful when I wake up and want to be asleep). We got a couple of wonderful phone calls this morning (from JP/Tanis and my mom and dad) to wish us a happy anniversary. Who would think 9 years would go by so fast? Kind of hard to believe! Anyway, we got up, ready to go and walked down to Kreschatyk -- pretty close to tSUM (for those of you who've been here). The day started out lovely as we walked but soon clouded over and got colder. The parade was not exactly what we expected. We were thinking there might be some old tanks, trucks, etc… which would be neat to see. Nope. The parade was basically a parade of people walking (or parading, if you will) by, interspersed with a few of marching bands. It was an honour to see the few actual veterans going by, and it seemed as though the different groups included veterans, spouses and even extended family. But then the end of the parade consisted of big groups of several of the political parties. (D -- it definately looked like politicians were trying to co-opt the day a bit. It was a bit strange, especially when I thought I saw a man carrying a photo of Stalin and a flower. I didn't think that he had many admirers. Hmm) We left then as it had also started to rain a bit. Overall – not really worth seeing, but who would have known (not us). Anyway, we’ve decided to stop at home to write this (and have a little snack of Napoleon), have a little nap, do a little reading (Shona) and writing (Darren), then head out to visit our daughter for a little bit. We’ll go out for dinner (and try to post this) later.
Paka for now.
Later…so we’re just back from our very brief visit to the orphanage. Happily, Ivanna came down the stairs dressed in a toque and snowsuit (no it’s not THAT cold, but they like to keep the kids warm when outside). Yup. YAY! We got to go outside today. It was lovely (other than the weather was very grey). Ivanna was pretty subdued today, but continues to show more initiation in what she wants to do when she’s with us. She would get up and look back for a hand and when given to her, would lead the way. We spent some time having a snack, walking around, looking at the chickens next door and then when I asked her if she wanted a cookie (maybe she’s starting to understand some English?) she led the way back to the little table where we’d left our stuff (and chose a ‘vaffly’). Unfortunately, shortly thereafter, the weather got worse and started to rain quite steadily with a little thunder and lightning. So, we headed back in. Once there Ivanna took my hand again and headed off in the direction of the stairs to her rooms, but at the bottom of the stairs made a valiant attempt to hang a left and go investigate the rooms in that direction (the forbidden corridor mentioned previously). Darren then got a little snuggle and we took her back to her group. We are unified in thinking/feeling that it’s much better to have a short visit than none. We sure love our time with her.

(D) We got pretty soaked on our walk back to the train platform, but thankfully, the rain had pretty much stopped by the time we arrived. The train was fairly busy, so we just stayed in the entrance. A young man tried to strike up a conversation with us. Shona tried saying, “Ya ne gavaru pa Ruski.” (‘I don’t speak Russian’) So he turned to me and started talking. I said the same thing, along with ‘I don’t understand’ (in Russian – likely poorly pronounced). It didn’t really seem to matter. Eventually, a group of three teenagers came in, and the young man asked the teenage boy something about English. He then starting chatting a bit with me (What country are you from? What are you doing in Ukraine? How is Ukraine different from Canada?...). We chatted for a while as his two female friends smiled and giggled a bit (they were probably 16 or 17). Eventually, the three friends went to sit in the train and the young man continued to try to talk with us in Russian. We tried to get what he was saying for a while, but eventually resorted to just smiling. He kept talking for a while and then gave up. We think he may have been trying to get us to give him money, but we’re not really sure. It was nice to talk to a stranger wanting to try out his English, but kind of uncomfortable talking with the other fellow. He was always friendly, and would come close and tap our arms when telling/asking us something. We just could not communicate.

Now we are heading out for our anniversary supper (guess where). Hope you are all well and continuing to enjoy our adventure.

8 comments:

Ivanna's uncle said...

Happy 9th Anniversary Guys! Blessings on you this day. Can you believe that your anniversary is such a big deal that they made it a holiday there. Cool.
I was thinking about your wedding last night, remembering the tulips and the piper and a bunch of stuff about that day: what a lovely time. My thoughts then went to the years prior to that day and the ups and downs of your dating years. Then I got thinking about the years since and the ups and downs of them. Wow, you have been together a long time (count it up), and who could've imagined the course your lives would take together. Now today, who would thunk that you'd be together in Kyiv, with your daughter, patiently awaiting the opportunity to bring her home: What a lot of amazing memories you have shared and continue to create together. very cool.
love you guys.
j

Alan, Michelle and Cole said...

Happy Anniversary!!!Wow does time ever fly. Like Jonathan, I was thinking of your wedding day and the joy of that celebration. Now nine years later, you are able to celebrate together as you add a daughter to your family. What a blessing!! Luv ya.

Tanis said...

It was so good to talk to you last night. Glad that Ivanna was allowed outside at at long last. Its so nice to get out (minus the rain, lightning and thunder of course. Here it would be the misquitoes)! The blossoms are out on some of the trees here and I just love the colours that are bursting out. The scent is delicious. I got to walk accross the bridge twice to and from City hospital. The river valley has that fresh spring green hue.

As you know, today is my work day and I'm enjoying the calm absence of frenetic activity. My mom and Libby have taken over the kids today. Neil and my dad are doing some work on the condo - mainly painting and scraping up lino. Oh the fun.

Hope you have a good day with Ivanna (with perhaps less thunder and lightning).

I love you three.

Tanis

Lecia said...

Happy Anniversary you two!!!
What a beautiful wedding day you had. I remember you two smiling 'til your faces hurt!
Lots of joy and emotion on that day. I especially enjoyed the promenade along Spadina; we walked along behind the Scottish Piper and you,the Bride and Groom!
We love you lots.
Lecia et al

Brenda said...

Wow, I am still young enough to remember your wedding and Darren as a chubby,quiet but still fascinated with gross things at nine years old. Someday I won't remember either but I will hold this time in your lives dearly in my heart. It is so special to me to see the sights of Ukraine and hear your stories. I have spent so many family celebrations and holidays with your family over the years; I can't help but wonder if you are rubbing shoulders or butts in the train with my family and watching them celebrate. I can't wait to see and hear more of your adventures in Ukraniski land.
Ivanna and I will share a bond, only I am third generation away from the homeland. It is so exciting to know she will be part of your family now.
Gemma has received her Canadian passport and will be able to leave Taiwan with Chris and Nevada when they come in June. He says he will have her roll on the dirt when they get here so she can truly be a Canadian.
You have my prayers while you wait for court to make legal what is already in your hearts.
Love Brenda/BABA

Duane Goehner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duane Goehner said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow, it is hard to believe it was nine years ago that the crew was gathered at your wedding in Saskatoon!

I hope that your time there is good. Cori and my prayers are with you! I hope things go well. Of course, delays are normal in that part of the world as we know. Alas, maybe since I could not get you to be part of the Russian/American Educational Program in Moscow, maybe the Lord will be giving you time on the clock now instead?

We love you. We hope that you can visit Seattle again soon. Maybe when your parents are here this summer??

Have a splendid week. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Duane and Cori

kathryn said...

Darren and Shona,
9 years ago I had only heard of you, now I can't imagine Saskatoon without you. I'm glad you had a good day yesterday. We sure are thinking of you often with the delay. I think maybe Jason should write a Dear Jason Column - that was some good thinkin'/writin'. We love you, and hope you enjoyed a great anniversary together thinking of the love you've already taught one another and of the love you now have been storing for years for a little one. There's a good stock pile there. The pictures are so wonderful, we feel so priveledged to be able to see the unfolding of your family.

lots of love,
Kath

Hi Shona and Daren
Ivanna is so cute. I can't wait to see her. The pictures are great and she just looks so cute in them.

From
Emily