Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A cold start to a beautiful day.


kisses

driving with daddy

I love my bananas!

Now that is a delicious looking hunk of meat - our shawarma guy preparing our lunch!

Our shawarma lunch

Good morning! We have just returned from the orphanage, having stopped for a shawarma on the way home. Our bellies are full of goodness. It is cold today, and as we woke up and looked outside, we noticed that it was sort-of snowing/sleeting. Not really heavily, but there was certainly white stuff swirling through the air and it was NOT flowers off the trees! So I dressed in ALL the long sleeved clothes (shirt, light sweater and zip up sweater then my spring coat) I still have here (I sent some things home with Jonathan foolishly thinking spring had sprung and I wouldn’t need them!). I was still cold – the wind was quite nasty this morning. On a happy note, the train wasn’t busy at all and we actually got to sit down AND were able to get out of our seats and off at our stop without difficulty. That was nice. The funniest (at least for me) part of the trip out there happened when Darren, who was carrying a few things in his backpack – including a new toy we had bought Ivanna that plays various tunes with button options for the child to add percussion and other instruments – happened to hit some of the buttons for the music to play…repeatedly. I had a hard time not laughing each time I could hear ‘old McDonald’ or some other tune floating out of his bag. He got some funny looks from other passengers! Note to self: buy toys with an OFF button.
Our time with Ivanna goes far too quickly. She is definitely attaching too us more and more – which is so wonderful. When the nurse brought her down today, I squatted down and opened my arms and she walked right to me and threw her little arms around my neck. We snuggled for quite a while and it was sooooo nice. Only the four Italian couples were there today, but all their kids are older (probably 3-5 years old) and boys – oh and have we mentioned before – they are all somewhat….active? Someone at the orphanage found the key for the playroom upstairs though, so the chaos was a little more bearable today (more toy options and more soft surfaces!). Ivanna had a blast riding around (being pushed alternately by Daddy and Mama) in a ride-on car. We also played with various noisy (cause and effect) toys, her musical toy (she likes music) and for a long time with a stack of rings. She would often stop to just watch the other kids. We so look forward to her getting to know her cousins and other little friends back home.
The train ride home was quite busy – people must be returning from their long weekend out of town. As we were squashed onto the entry area of the train by more aggressive people behind us, Darren’s bag began to sing again. I couldn’t stop the giggles. (D – I liked to think of it as my personal-space alarm. As it was constantly going off, I took off my backpack. No buffer zone today) We eventually got seats as we got closer to downtown Kyiv and found it slightly warmer on the walk home. I have figured out an advantage to the crazy crush of people on a busy train though…it is warm. That was the only time so far today that I was warm (when I was smooshed up against the wall with lots of people surrounding me) – that is my silver lining/glass half full thought for the day! Anyway, it is Darren’s turn to add his thoughts.

Thoughts…? Not too many to add, except that Shona and I remarked that we are feeling reasonably comfortable today. At least our oft-visited areas (the walk to the train, our store, our shawarma kiosk, the walk home, our apartment, Mario’s,…) are feeling a bit more homey. We may actually get through this. In fact, as Jonathan said before he left, soon we will be counting down to coming home, rather than counting up from leaving. That’s a nice thought.
After doing a little work on my thesis (I need to graduate someday) and doing a little pilates with Shona (apparently there's a reason we haven't done that DVD for a while - she's a nasty gumby), we ventured out into a much warmer and sunny day. We are now at Shocoladitsa (you can guess what they serve). Shona is in a little bit of heaven. It's definitely a bit more upscale from Mario's (I think our drinks and one dessert will come to about the same as an entire meal at our pizza place). But, as Shona says, change is good (note that I am quoting Shona there. I am always happy to stick with a tried-and-true).
S - yes, it is nice to have a place that (hopefully) has good chocolate desserts! Also good to have wi-fi at another location so the Mario's servers don't get too sick of us and our computer. We think we will actually cook something for supper tonight - yes we CAN do it!
Ok - we tried the chocolate cake with ganache icing - YUMMY!
Until later, paka.

13 comments:

carrie c said...

The pictures speak volumes. Your daughter has captured your hearts and the love shines in your eyes. We so enjoy catching up with your adventures each day and sharing in the steps Ivanna takes with you at every visit. You continue to be in our prayers.

Alan, Michelle and Cole said...

The pictures really say it all. My heart is just so full of joy and thanksgiving for you all ( my eyes are full too but that's a given). Your writing is unbelievable, it makes us feel like we are right there-which I wish I was. Oh, and the chocolate cake-yes I wish I was sharing that with you too. It's so nice to hear that you are not only loving your time with Ivanna but you are able to enjoy/be comfortable with everything else-that is another answer to prayer. We love you.

Neil and Lib said...

What a delight greeted us this morning as we awoke to your latest blog-earlier than usual. Of course you'll get through this, and with 'shining colors' as Grandma Meeds would say. It is clear that your daughter is quite in love with you both. We can see the progression from reticence to embraces. God is showering blessings on us all. Great to have Jonathan home again.
Love to the Nickels 3.
Mom and Dad

kathryn said...

When I hear about the other adoption, I remind myself, what a blessing it has been right from the start - to be able to start off with someone so young.
I'm glad you are feeling so much more comfortable. GOod luck Darren working on your thesis. You three are constantly in our thoughts. I've been sharing your story with my class and my staff (as occasionally I've had to explain the wetness), and every day they too look forward to the pictures and the stories of this time with Ivanna. Thank you. love you lots

Sam and Evelyn said...

Wow! How wonderful that you are having such a successful time with Ivanna when you get to see, and interact with her each day. It was delightful to see your early posting, as it is almost the first thing we do every day (after letting Tavie out and feeding her). Thanks also for the explanitory photo's of Shawarma. Continue to try to get mew experiences and enjoy all that you can manage to see and do in Kiyv. Just saw Erna for the first time in a long time, and reminded her how to log onto your blog (she says they don't do email but do have the internet). I will check again today and go over to help her out if she needs it.
Love you all,

Tanis said...

SO good to hear about your day and to get more pictures (truly truly there can never be enough of those). I love the image of Ivanna just walking right into your arms. I know how much Misha loves to run into your arms. There are many children who have you in their hearts. It does not surprise me that you have won Ivanna's.

It is good to have Jonathan (AKA walking zombie)home again. Thankfully, the kids slept through last night giving us a stretch of sleep.

The ukranian pants and soccer shirt that Jonathan bought for Misha were a BIG hit. I told him he had to take the pants off to go to the park. "But mom, I just want to wear them outside so I can feel them blow in the wind." Okay. So he did. When he got up this morning he had them back on again.

THe Ukranian outfit for Ivanna is beautiful - BEAUTIFUL. As is the art.

I love hearing all the stories from Jonathan and his impressions of Kyiv. It sounds like you are making it home for now. What a gift to Ivanna for you to have good memories and many experiences from her country.

I love you very much and hope you have another good day today.

Tanis

Christy said...

"Note to self: buy toys with an OFF button".

Good that you learned this lesson now instead of one morning at 5 when she wakes up and turns it on. ;o)

It's becoming ritual to check in with you guys each morning - And I now have cravings for shawarma's now after seeing the pictures.

Continued prayers from our house to yours - Colin & Christy

Val said...

Jason had to tell me bright and early this morning about your new postings, in particular the pictures of the shawarma. :) It probably wouldn't take much convincing to get him to hop on a plane to share some with you!

It's amazing how the daily changes in all three of you and your interactions can be captured so vividly in just a few pictures. What a treasure this blog is going to be to Ivanna when she's older. It's a wonderful record of this remarkable journey you have undertaken to find her and have her become part of your family and this community of people.
Love and hugs to all of you.

Brent & Karen & kids said...

We are enjoying seeing all your pictures and hearing about everything you want to share. It is wonderful to see you with your daughter and to see the love and connection you already have with her. I can't even imagine how hard it is to leave her everytime. We are continuing to pray about the court date etc. I too am teary everytime I see you with your daughter. God Bless.

jaggiest said...

The Kav Kalash looks delicious. Street meat--how can it be beat? Sweet. (Dude.) I am particularly impressed with the strata that you can see in the loaf... one imagines this being similar to an "eternal stew", which simmered 24/7, half-eaten, refilled with new ingredients and eaten the next day, and so on forever, so that a certain percentage of your stew is actually many years old. If you are lucky you have flavorizers in that gyros from many moons ago! :) Just looking at it makes me hungry.

Good to hear that you guys are enjoying each other's company and are fashioning a bond. I didn't expect much trouble with you two attaching to her, but I'm glad to hear that she's taking to you as well. It's important from a "technical assimilation into family" perspective which I'm sure Darren could detail scientifically, but also from a "this feels right" perspective which is less quantitative but more important. Ultimately, the only reason that kids ever comply with anything you instruct them to do (anything, not everything!) is because of the bond of trust, love, affection, and "attachment" that you are fashioning presently. We are given the gift of being able to guide our children and instill (from a computer science perspective I almost want to say "install", quite honestly) our values in them. I'm glad this process is going well (and it will strengthen further for a long time.)

As I always mandate: Take care of each other! Have fun! Hugs for you all, especially the youngest and cutest. :)

Ivanna's uncle said...

I can't believe that I now must officially join the ranks of bloggers addicted to SDI(Shona, Darren, Ivanna for ??).
Yeah, being in close proximity to the action must have gone to my head and now I realize that I too must be more of an observer (though i'll swear i'm gonna maintain my influence).
i'm just gonna take a stab here and say that being inside for a couple of days was actually a good for your relationship with Ivanna. i'd bet that some tight enclosure was good, b/c it meant not just heading back to the swings and perhaps using more interactive toys. yep, see, you can be thankful for the cold this week.
the new set of pics was nice too and it just shows how the next 'while' there will just provide more opportunity for your family to grow closer to one another. everyone needs that.
y'know what hit me today:
you love Ivanna. She is your daughter.
I remember being struck by the strange feeling of love that just came when Misha was born: it was just 'there'. It appeared rather suddenly and caught me unawares (i'm no idiot, but i didn't expect it like that). Anyway, in reading the recent blogs and re-visualizing what I witnessed, it hit me that you love her now.
hmm...cool.
I love you 3 too (i'm just a sucker for anyone you'd add to your family).

Melissa said...

The pics are great! It's so beautiful to look into your eyes (all of you) and see the love that is there. Also, I received the Easter/spring letter, thanks for thinking of me, it was a nice treat today.

Robynn said...

Jonathan came back to class and told many stories about all the excitement that is going on over there! I can tell you that the grade 11 class is praying for your family - we are all very happy for you! Ivanna is beautiful!
Robynn